The Green Burial Guidebook: Everything You Need to Plan an Affordable, Environmentally Friendly Burial. Fournier, Elizabeth, 2018
- Funeral expenses in the United States average more than $10,000. And every year conventional funerals bury millions of tons of wood, concrete, and metals, as well as millions of gallons of carcinogenic embalming fluid. Elizabeth Fournier provides comprehensive and compassionate guidance, covering everything from green burial planning and home funeral basics to legal guidelines and outside-the-box options, such as burials at sea. Fournier points the way to green burial practices that consider both the environmental well-being of the planet and the economic well-being of loved ones.
The Natural Burial Cemetery Guide Burial Guidebook. Hoffner, Anne, 2017
The Grace in Dying: A Message of Hope, Comfort, and Spiritual Transformation. Singh, Kathleen Dowling, 1998
- Right from the start Kathleen Dowling Singh proclaims: “Dying is safe. You are safe. Your loved one is safe. That is the message of all the words here.” True to her promise, Dowling Singh walks us through the final stages of dying with complete honesty, yet she manages to quell our ultimate fear of dying.
Ten Thousand Joys & Ten Thousand Sorrows: A Couple’s Journey Through Alzheimer’s. Hoblitzelle, Olivia Ames, 2010
- Filled with practical guidance and spiritual perspectives, this memoir offers an inspiring vision for maintaining hope and grace in the face of one of life’s greatest challenges.
The Up-Rising in Dying: Words and Verses for those close to the experience surrounding The Threshold of Death. Barnes, Christy and Hutchinson, Janet, Ed.
- Poems by Rudolf Steiner and other anthroposophists
Circle of Compassion: Meditations for Caring – for the Self and for the World Straub, Gail, 2001
- These two are companion books with a focus on the many dimensions of caregiving
Awakening from Grief: Finding the Way Back to Joy. Welshons, John E, 2003
- A compassionate, introspective autobiography about grieving and moving through grief
When Prayers Aren’t Answered. Welshons, John E, 2010
- With insights from a range of spiritual traditions, this book shows how to use painful circumstances to open our hearts
Illuminata: A Return to Prayer. Williamson, Marianne, 1994
- Prayers for all life’s occasions; includes beautiful memorial service text
No One Has to Die Alone: Preparing for a Meaningful Death. Leary, Ph.D., Lani, 2012
- No One Has to Die Alone offers the practical skills, vocabulary, and insights needed to truly address the needs of a dying loved one while caring for yourself in the process.
Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness Needs, and Communications of the Dying. Callanan, Maggie & Kelley, Patricia, 1992
- Filled with practical advice on responding to the requests of the dying and helping them to prepare emotionally and spiritually, Final Gifts shows how we can support the dying person in living fully to the very end.
Making Friends With Death: A Buddhist Guide to Encountering Mortality Leaf, Judith L, 2001
- Shows us that through the powerful combination of contemplation of death and mindfulness practice, we can change how we relate to death, enhance our appreciation of everyday life, and use our developing acceptance of our own vulnerability as a basis for opening to others.
The Inevitable Hour: A History of Caring for Dying Patients in America Abel, Emily K, 2013
- Helps to explain why a movement to restore dignity to the dying arose in the early 1970s and why its goals have been so difficult to achieve
A Celtic Book of Dying: Walking with the Dying, Traveling with the Dead Anam-Aire, Phyllida, 2005
- This guide to the mystic self encourages listeners to let the past die, let the future create, and to live in the present moment.
On Death and Dying Kübler-Ross, Elisabeth,1969
- Gives the reader a better understanding of how imminent death affects the patient, the professionals who serve that patient, and the patient’s family, bringing hope to all who are involved.
Facing The Final Mystery-Second Edition by Larsen, RN, Laura, 2004
- A provocative, practical, and compassionate guide for everyone confronting the challenges of illness, dying and death.
Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death by Slocum, Josh and Carlson, Lisa
- This book provides in-depth, state-by-state information about funeral and burial laws. For $5 you can download information about an individual state at state-by-state information. Also, for specific questions about your state, contact Lisa Carlson directly (this is a free service provided by AllExperts.com).
Grave Matters: A Journey Through the Modern Funeral Industry to a Natural Way of Burial by Harris, Mark
- Grave Matters follows families who found in “green” burial a more natural, more economic, and ultimately more meaningful alternative to the tired and toxic send-off on offer at the local funeral parlor.
The American Way of Death Revisited by Mitford, Jessica
- When first published in 1963 this landmark of investigative journalism became a runaway bestseller and resulted in legislation to protect grieving families from the unscrupulous sales practices of those in “the dismal trade.”
National Home Funeral Alliance Book List provides a comprehensive book list at this link.